Monday, October 5, 2009

Weekend Wildness

When Boston became a time machine.
(CEB II)

Never thought I would miss the presence of a rodent mascot. Back writing after another great weekend, which I enjoyed with my other Babson alumni brethren. Who would have thought that a Red Sox game would only be the start of it all? I've been back to the alma mater countless times since I have graduated almost a year and a half back, but it is at homecoming with your peers in which you truly feel as if you are back as an undergrad, minus that looming mid-term presentation that makes the hangover much worse the next day. Even a drizzling, overcast day couldn't stop the beer tent from flowing and for Babson alum to paint Boston "green" with memories and a good time in mind. I even went back to the old dining hall for only the 2nd time since I graduated, which I have to admit was a mixture of fond procrastination memories that blended with food-shock flashbacks. Most notably, I was able to survive the reunion without getting bombed, which may have been for the better. I already have images of the return trip in the "drunk bus" flash right to my head, and they ain't pretty. With a bunch of buddies back in town for the weekend, it was one of those moments that I wish I could freeze in time. In a way, it sort of is, until that time when next year's homecoming experience will continue playing the flashback reel.


Pink: The new color of victory!
(espn.com)

After reminiscing about deadlines and the damages at our freshman dorms, I awoke to a grind-it-out football game between my Patriots and the undefeated Baltimore Ravens. This was supposed to be where I wrote my MLB postseason predictions, but thanks to me jinxing the Tigers last week, I guess it will take one more game in Minnesota to sort the 2009 AL Central race once and for all (and yes Tigers, you're welcome). Anyway, it was one of those back-and-forth, sloppy games that you expect with two contenders, but in the end, it was the Ravens' Michael Clayton who was the Patriots key contributor by dropping two key passes in that last-gasp effort. But by watching "SportsCenter", it seems as if all the controversy is lying on the two roughing the passer penalties committed by the Ravens that may have changed the course of the game (I would have probably received this info from one of my new favorite shows, "SportsNation", but quickly left when I found out that it was the "Guinness Record Favre Reference Show". I hate Mondays!). In a way, I kind of agree with Ray Lewis and his ranting. The QB position use to be respected not just for its complexities, but for the characters that were able to take their licking, only to get up and complete that Hail Mary pass. It seems as if every year, the physicality of the NFL has slowly turned into a pillow fight with muscular dudes, which I think is the last thing any red-blooded American male wants to see. With all that said, all the other teams are under the the same rules, and I'm sure Joe Flacco will be a beneficiary of these QB rules sooner than later. Quarterbacks are the money makers for the NFL, which is the reason why these rules have been in effect in the first place. I could only imagine the faces of Goodell and Kraft when you know who's famous left knee snapped in Foxboro in last year's opening week. Unfortunately, these things are going to change the climate of the game, and later will become the status quo. As much as these shady personal foul penalties suck out some of the quality of the game, it's still an "elephant in the room" type element that has to be given attention whenever you are drawing up the Xs and Os. Sadly for you Michael Clayton, the blames is back on you. On that note, GO PACKERS!

Mochaman's Fantasy Baseball Report
- Firehawks - 94-111-15 (9th, Yahoo Public 162279, 33.5 GB) (Final Position: 9th)
If this was the Sprint Cup deadline, I would be golden! Won the 9th place game, but really could have done much better with this team. The Firehawk name has brought mostly mediocrity in the six different seasons I have controlled the franchise, but I can't push aside that championship run in 2007. So it looks like it is R.I.P. for the Firehawks (2004-2009). Does Montreal still want a new team?

- Mocha Sox - 101-112-7 (9th, Yahoo Public 38095, 23 GB) (Final Position: 7th)
Looks like the Sox will survive, and may possibly make a move to my other Yahoo ID with a win in the consolation bracket, or as I like to call it, "The Yahoo Public 38095 NIT." If I wasn't going to be Cinderella at the ball, I at least wanted to clean out the cellar. Hoping for a stellar draft next year, which will better propel my team to at least the championship bracket. Which reminds me.....

- Bubba Gump Shrimpz - 158-101-21 (2nd, Steroid Freaks' Anonymous, .5 GB) (Final Position: 1st)
Ladies and gents, boys and girls, MEET YOUR LEAGUE CHAMPS!!!! In only my second year in my buddy P-Mac's league, I have morphed from unlikely 4th place Cinderella to a $200 prize winning juggernaut that was a half -game away from being a $400 dollar winner. Even with another 1st round dud (Josh Hamilton), a late-season slowdown/injury from a key player (3rd rounder Justin Morneau, guess you can count Rich Harden), pickups like Pablo Sandoval (18th rounder), Derrek Lee (free agent), Ben Zobrist (free agent) and Kendry Morales (you guessed it) boosted my team along with a Lincecum-Haren-Wainwright-led pitching staff. Have to give credit to my final-round offensive production, an offense which I've bitched about more than Glenn Beck does about Obama. Hoping I can honorably defend my title honorably next season. As for now, it's bubbly time!

Bonus: Sox - Indians Montage

"Boston" - Augustana - All The Stars and Boulevards, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment