Friday, December 11, 2009

In The Making.....Eurotrip: The Three-quel

Choices seem as limitless as this ceiling.
(CEB II)

It felt like 2 minutes ago that I returned from my last adventure across seas and (SURPRISE) I'm in the process of planning the next one. Call it boredom, call it a little break from the job escapades, or maybe it's an escape from all this "Tiger-gate" coverage on TV, but I think it's about that time to start pondering some ideas for future travels. To be frank, Eurotrip Part 3 has been in the making since I landed back in the States after Part 2, but it's the first time I've been able to somewhat articulate any of my plans, with the multitude of tempting choices and all. You know you are excited for something that you are looking up train schedules 7 months ahead of schedule. The ideas have been limitless: A meander through Madrid, a few pints in Prague, even a frolic in Finland. The most intriguing idea has been to pick a reunion spot where many of my overseas compadres can meet up and have a weekend shindig. I'm a big believer that the company you keep is the most defining characteristic in any place you visit. Even though a lot of this trip is in the concept phase right now, I have already decided on a few criticals for the next go-round. Here's the extent that I have thought about this future European excursion.

- My desired start date would be the end of the 2nd week of May 2010 (Fri. 14th or Sat. 15th). If I'm granted 2 weeks of vacay from my next employer (huge factor in all of this), the trip would run right into Memorial Day, which will give me an extra day to adjust my circadian rhythm.

- I'm gonna try to avoid Ryanair as much as possible. They find ways to get your money after you book that 'cheap' flight. By the way, this is the same airline that was thinking of charging people to use the bathroom.

- I want to visit at least one new country, to add some pizazz to the trip.

- There are two places I'm definitely going to if I do this....


Hope it looks warmer when I show up.
(thelightisgreen.com)

Stockholm, Sweden
It seems as if all of my Swedish friends from years past have all gathered around the Scandinavian Venice of the North, so it's a no-brainer that I go here. Sure, there are museums and great architecture in this northern metropolis, but I have so many people who await my arrival in this city. Plus, I think that it's about that time I find out what city life is like in Sweden. Can't turn down a Scandinavian party, right? Well, speaking of.........


Royal Palace, Oslo. Wicked!
(CEB II)

Oslo, Norway
I was overly impressed with the May 17th celebrations this year. So much so, that it pretty much determined the start this for next year's potential trip. Nobody likes a nationwide party more than I do, and I would be an idiot if I passed up another chance to indulge in another tipsy walk through Karl Johans Gate in Oslo. Plus, I have to pay homage to the city that actually gave me a lifelong appreciation for the Eurovision competition with at least another visit. Hope the Best Western can make some room for me next May.

For the rest of this trip, several places have been swirling through my mind. There is no way I'm making a decision soon. In fact, thinking about it gives me a jolt of energy! Right now, I reveal the infamous list of destinations I am considering for the next voyage (Subject to change at anytime. Oh, just thought of another place!).

The Legendary Consideration List

Vienna - Schnitzels....enough said!

Normandy - Tons of history to be learned here. One of my Top 5 Destinations, and I haven't been there before, making this a huge candidate for a multi-week venture.

Amsterdam - Curious as to what the hype's is all about. Plus a good train spot to visit places like Belgium and Germany during the day. I'll be sure to avoid any brownie treats.

Some big city other than Rome - Venice? Milan? Florence? Naples? Love to visit the country again, but need to be impulsed into a city before picking one.

Thoughts? Suggestions? All ideas are welcome.

(CEB II)

No comments:

Post a Comment