Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Chuck's 5-Piece: Sports Cathedrals

I'm already sick of the snow too, KG!
(espn.com)

When I was listening to the FIFA Club World Cup celebration on the radio on Saturday, I thought how exhilarating it would feel as a fan seeing your team achieve history, not just the accomplishment, but that shared feeling of the magnitude of the moment. It made me realize one thing. Simply put, I miss baseball and Fenway. I miss that crowd in a pennant race where every fan has that sensitive attentiveness and ferocity similar to how a lion watches his prey. As a sports fan, it would be phenomenal to obtain that feeling year round. Granted, I have access to two other major venues, but it's nothing comparable to Fenway crowd, or a soccer crowd for that matter. Crowds for Celtics and Bruins games are passionate, but don't get truly into it until playoff time and going to a football game is possibly the most overrated experience when it comes to sporting events (getting in and out of parking lot traffic, late-season weather, no true homefield advantage due to the massiveness of the new venues). With all that said, you will be in a big shock when you find out what my number one venue is. This has been a 5-piece I've wanted to do for a while, but the Sox season kept getting in the way. I'm sure most of you who know me understand. So why call it the 5-piece? Originally, I wanted to call it the 'Bucket List', kinda like the title of my last Top 5 entry. However, the fact that of comparing an entry of mine to a list of things to do before I croak seems a little cryptic, don't ya' think? Then, I thought simply, "Chuck's Bucket", simply a collection of my desired experiences, but that seemed too cutesy. But 'bucket' got me to chicken, like chicken nuggets. You know, those things at Mickey D's that I used to inhale as a kid until I saw ads saying that they were NOW made with real chicken. I can't tell you how scared I am that a leg will fall off my body after those binging sessions on the old nuggets. Anyway, here are the five venues I wish to attend, of course with legs intact.


Well, guess I have a reason to go back to London.
(bostonherald.com)

5. Wembley Stadium - London, England
I have finally found another reason to go back to London......well besides getting that coveted pic with me walking on Abbey Road. Even though it's not the original iconic venue, the new £757 million Wembley ($1.2 billion, most expensive in the world), is as buzz-worthy as its predecessor. All 90,000 seats (2nd in Europe) are under cover, protecting from those misty London days. The Wembley title, like the Madison Square Garden, is one of those few names that can carry its mythical aura to any of its descendant stadiums (Verdict is still out on Yankee Stadium.). Wembley to me has always been the "it" venue of the international sporting world. The Wembley brand adds so much weight and substance to whatever event or concert is held in its famous grounds. Probably why the NFL picked the new Wembley venue for its annual overseas special, or why England chose the venue to be the official home for the English national soccer team. I heard through the grapevine that the 2011 Champions League Final will be held at this venue and will be the centerpiece of the 2012 Olympics. I'm predicting some future days surrounded by red telephone booths and British fanatics.


Wimbledon: Best thing on grass since Willie Nelson.
(myenglandtravel.com)


4. All England Club - Wimbledon, England
I'll admit it, I've probably seen more tennis on the Wii than I have watching the professionals on TV. However, the recent Wimbledon championships have been more captivating than ever, making me wonder if I have been missing out on one of the better tournaments in sports. The courts of Wimbledon have been hosting their championships since 1877, acting as the backdrop of champions of the likes of Federer, Laver, Borg and Sampras. The regal charm and the inspired performances at Centre Court at Wimbledon are second to none in the world of tennis, trumping the vibe of all the other Grand Slam events with an aura as natural as its iconic all-grass surface. Tennis may not be my main draw, but the charisma and the tradition of Wimbledon has a special allure that can grab a hold of any casual sports fan. With the venue holding tennis competitions in the 2012 Olympics, it's looking more and more as if London may be the place to be a few years from now. Plus, a Brooklyn Decker sighting is all welcome in my book.

The key to the drought might be buried in that ivy. Just a thought.
(americansportsblog.files.wordpress.com)


3. Wrigley Field - Chicago, Illinois
In Chicago lies one of the few remaining iconic American stadiums in existence. Since I have already been to the Hall in Cooperstown, this would be my next baseball mega-destination. First put to use in 1914, 'The Friendly Confines' provides a sublime illustration of the charisma of old time baseball, highlighted by the brick surfacing of the outfield wall and its urban surroundings. The way the ivy on the outfield wall progresses from its flimsy branches in early to a mini-jungle in the dog days is just another part of the beauty of the national pastime. It's amazing to think that this renowned house of baseball was once the longest tenured NFL stadium, hosting the Bears from 1921 to 1970. Whether it's football or baseball, the super-devoted followers of Chicago, through accolades and agony, provide one of the liveliest sporting environments that extends to the rooftops across the street from the park. I would absolutely enjoy being in the stands in the midst of this lively Midwestern environment, all while trying hard not to be the next Bartman. If the Red Sox don't triumph in any given year, I always hope that the Cubbies can finally triumph for the 1st time since the Teddy Roosevelt administration and make history, right in their historic gem of American sport.


Lookin' like my European Fenway Park.
(spanishballs.files.wordpress.com)

2. Camp Nou - Barcelona, Spain
In the midst of a city which contains Gaudi and Domènech's architectural greatness, this would be my desired edifice. Imagine stepping into an environment that can house almost 3 Fenways in capacity with all the energy and passion to boot. Hell, they're 5 times as many people that cram in the venue for a simple soccer match than residents in my hometown! It's pretty amazing to think that they are plans to extend the capacity another 10,000 seats, which would make it the largest football stadium in the world and adding to the already strong Catalonian fervor for their blaugrana. Other than housing my favorite soccer club, the grand venue has also hosted games in the 1982 World Cup, concerts from a list of acts not limited to Michael Jackson and Frank Sinatra, and even a papal congregation. Come to think of it, I may have to make Barcelona a permanent fixture in my future Eurotrips. However, nothing would give me more joy than to be at El Clasico chanting the Barça hymn in broken Catalan as the blaugrana claim victory.

Looks like a great place to take a leap.
(eventchaser.com)

1. Lambeau Field - Green Bay, Wisconsin
Might be a bit of a shocker after my mini rant in the intro, but this is the Mecca of the new American pastime. I mean, where else is it okay to cheer for your team while wearing a foam dairy product on your head? To me, it is the Fenway of football for many reasons other than the green facades of their walls. First off, Lambeau is the oldest stadium in the league that was built and exclusively used for NFL football, making it one of the few relics in a world of luxury boxes and over sized jumbotron scoreboards. The comparison between my sports cathedral and Lambeau also extend to the passion of the fan base, which the cheese heads may have a slight advantage in a couple of areas. For example, the waiting time to purchasing season tickets is on average, a hefty 30 years! Whether in the rain or in -13°F like in the 1967 NFC Championship Game, you can bet your life savings that the Packer fans will show up, filled with brat and a few brews, to cheer their team to the final whistle. It is that kind of passion that allows the fanatics to run the team and keep them in a city that only claims just over 100,000 residents. For that, the frozen tundra of Lambeau is a must-witness for any true American sports fan. I heard that a game in the frozen ground of Lambeau is something else,......but I also heard that Wisconsin is beautiful in September. I'm still getting used to the mental hangover brought upon by the winter solstice. Cheers folks. At least they're longer days ahead!

Honorable Mentions: Daytona Motor Speedway, Allianz Arena, Old Trafford, Augusta National Golf Club, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Rogers Centre, Madison Square Garden

Before I Peace: Icing On The Cake
(edition.cnn.com)

A big hoorah to the great Argentinian footballer Lionel Messi, who captured the FIFA World Player of the Year by a large margin. With the victory, Messi beat out former winners (Ronaldo, Kaká) as well as current teammates (Xavi, Iniesta). It is the first time that he has achieved the accolade, with the help of his explosive play that created 38 goals in 51 matches while playing a vital role in the many important competitions F.C. Barcelona were a part of. It can be considered another success for Barça, which became the 1st team to pull off the 'sextuple' this past Saturday in Abu Dhabi. The world is truly in for a treat when he dashes on the pitch in South Africa when the World Cup arrives in the upcoming year. Witnessing all these accomplishments from my adopted team in my first year as a fan, this 'Player of the Year' award like Messi said on the podium, "is the icing on the cake." Here's to a successful 2010 for my Barça!

Mochaman's Fantasy Football Report
- Boston Beersquad - 10-3 (1st, Plax's Got a Gun, 1st in Division 2, 1574.30 Pts.)
The 'Squad is going to the finals! Thank God that's over! Probably my most dramatic series of the year, as it when down to the Monday night 'Skins-Giants game, where my Giants D overcame my opponent's performances of Jason Campbell, Hakeem Nicks and Quinton Ganther to seal a trip to the last waltz (Thank you Jim Zorn for the awful trick play!). Facing probably the toughest six-seed ever in the finals, a team that was the second highest scoring team in the league and has been beasting the playoffs despite losing three in a row at the end of the regular season and barely making the playoffs. Defensive matchups are a plus for me this week as Warner/Fitzgerald will be against St. Louis, Donald Driver goes against Seattle, Ochocinco will line up against Kansas City and Vernon Davis will face Detroit. If there is one week to have a freaky scoreline, it's now!

- Killa' Beavaz - 9-5 (2nd, Yahoo Public 179914, 1409.78 Pts.)
It's Super Bowl time at the 179914! No, you not seeing double, that's two football finals for the Mochaman after only being in one final in my previous 7 years playing. Apparently the seeding in this league was an accurate indicator, as I'm up against the #1 seed, who had the same record, but was 27.28 points better than me in the regular season. Hoping that McNabb can finally give me that big week he is capable of, for it could make a difference against a team that has players like Peterson, Austin, Rivers and Ricky Williams. Hope I can come out of the ring this weekend with at least one title belt!

R.I.P. To Another Young Talent Gone Too Soon
Brittany Murphy (November 10, 1977 – December 20, 2009)
(im.in.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment