Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hooked On Politics

Apathy setting in. Must be Election Day!
(bulletin.aarp.org)

Apparently, it's D-Day for the decision on who will fill in Kennedy's senate seat. I rarely get all political in life. In fact, this is the first time I've gotten political on this blog. I try to avoid it as much as possible. Politics is just one of those things that kills a genuine social interaction like cyanide-laden punch would kill a company Christmas party. Just ask Elaine after her experience in 'The Couch' episode with the moving man. So I guess you ask, what are my affiliations? I wouldn't consider myself apolitical, because that would just promote the fallacy that I don't believe in anything at all. I do have beliefs, but I don't drive a constant campaign on other people with them. Leave that to the assumed pros. I once considered myself a Republican as a youth, but the whole Evangelical/Bush thing spooked me out of the GOP (now affectionately named, "the NO-P"), plus I was never all that conservative to begin with. Every political test I seem to take indicates my positioning somewhat dead center of the spectrum, with a slight lean towards the Libertarian Party. I'd like to think that I don't get caught up in the hoopla and vote for what's best for not only my country's well being, but for my family (Guess 'The Godfather' taught me well!). So out of all this, who am I voting for? To be frank, I've lost touch with this election with the trash being launched in multiple directions. The recent statewide smear campaign put on by Coakley and the Dems make her lose credibility in my eyes, pulling everything short of, "Scott Brown runs a dog-fighting ring for fun" as a dagger. And this is supposed to be the party that helped run a smooth campaign for Obama, fretting away from the old methods of cheap jabs. However, I can't avoid how the recent campaigning (a.k.a., mud-slinging) of Coakley and Brown has dominated large portions of my Facebook news feed in the past week, for it has highlighted why I am disinterested in this election, in political campaigns and why I rarely get political in the first place.

I get that these elections hold a key in the future policies of our country and that disagreement is vital in the process of political discourse, but enough with the overkill. It just seems as if each person, one way or another, is coaxed into believing that one side is always right, and the other one is cooking up a sabotaging agenda. That's it. No ifs, ands, or buts. So what if my party's plan for the future has glaring holes in it, it's the right way and you're just completely wrong and idiotic, so accept it! Explains why we haven't split (and possible never will) from our bipartisan ways as a nation despite pleas and promises of past presidents, stunting the country's overall growth. Discussions become less political and become more of a personal grudge match. It seems like we defend politicians and their beliefs more fervently than we would our grandmothers honor. Come to think of it, this feels like the only country in the world where a 'your mom' insult is taken as lighthearted joke, where an Obama joke would turn a baby shower into a bar brawl. Disagreeing with somebody on health care reform will elicit about the same contentious reaction as yelling 'sieg heil' in a synagogue. The problem I have with parties is that the partisan passion removes from the individual, a vital cog of what a strong democracy allows us, that of reason. Let's not forget that these are some well-off/loaded people trying to get a promotion. That's right, because being a politician is just like being an accountant, an event planner or an ad man, only we're the ones that are on the board getting the suck-up treatment. Kinda frightening, considering that political office positions should be approached with a mentality of a public service job in order for it to be truly productive. On top of all of that, with all the pensions and benefits provided, politicians are under a security blanket if any their policies should fail, lessening the sting of liability (Sorry if I have busted your bubble of naivety). When voting season comes around, I always hope that people vote based on what is best for the people and they are not simply rooting for Team Elephant or Team Donkey. All I ask is that the next senator doesn't run things so badly that I will be waiting in line for three hours to receive an old, moldy loaf of Wonder bread. So go out and do whatever......and I would be flattered to get a few write-in votes!

No comments:

Post a Comment