Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pigskin Playoff Prognostications: Championship Edition

The 12th man never looked more intimidating.
(sports.espn.go.com)

Good news, I didn't bomb on last weeks picks (2-2). Bad news, the 2-2 week makes a .500 overall playoff record as possible as Conan O'Brien hosting another show on NBC thanks to the invisible offensive line of the Dallas Cowboys, and San Diego kicker Nate Kaeding's three attempts to do his best Scott Norwood impersonation. Conference championship time is finally here! I'm super stoked for a weekend that has a reputation for producing some of the finest football of the season. However, I'm still slowly recovering from the fact that either the Colts, the Jets or Brett Favre could potentially be hoisting the Lombardi trophy in three weeks. More Favre psycho dances, more Sanchez fist pumps and more reminders that my team didn't have the passion or the talent to make it this far. Pretty damaging thought when I've already seen the Lakers and the Yankees conquer their respective leagues over the past 7 months (slowly making the annual Tomlinson "cranky-face"). On another note, why do the Vikings get the pass when they run up the score on Dallas by scoring with their starting quarterback and tight end with less than 2 minutes to play, while New England got trashed in '07 for running it up with guys named Eckel and Vrabel? I don't believe in the 'running up the score' concept in the pros. Defenses should stop crying because many of them get paid millions to stop whoever is on the field, but the uneven flak that Belichick/Brady got compared to Childress/Favre is a little sketchy to me. Anyhoo, for now, I'm just focusing on what I think will be some quality conference championship games with many wrinkles that are gonna keep me hooked to my 27'' TV all Sunday afternoon. Let's iron out the details as I try to have a pick record that resembling somebody that has a slight idea of what they are talking about (Thanks, Rex Ryan for killing my dreams!). Ahhhhh, that felt good to let out. To the conference championships!

Starting to look like something on Broadway.
(sports.espn.go.com)

(5) New York Jets vs. (1) Indianapolis Colts

I have ate so much crow with these Jets. I'm gasping for air. In fact, crow is probably what the Chargers were choking on last Sunday. With all that said, this match was the match that was supposed to happen, not just because they were the better teams, but the historical significance of this game is hard to ignore. These franchises are part of the reason that we have the NFL of today, for these were the two teams who took part in the "Namath Guarantee Game" in Super Bowl III under the Miami sun. This coming Sunday, it's another confident underdog Jets team who will slug it out against another seasoned Colt powerhouse to earn the right to go to the city where that legendary game was played 41 years ago. I feel as I have not given enough credit to the Jets offense, who not only dominated on the ground, but have been managed quite well by Sanchez, who like Namath in Super Bowl III, doesn't have to throw a touchdown for the Jets to win if the Jets play sound football. Now that I have said all nice things about the Jets (I'm in a tremor over here), here's why the Cots are gonna win. It's hard to believe, but I think it will be the Colts who will have the chip on their shoulder coming into this game. Deep down, I think the Colts are tired of defending their Coach Caldwell over his decision to sit his starters in Week 16 against these Jets that ultimately stunted their undefeated season right in front of their home fans. It's the Colts who have the task to prove the naysayers in the media that the Week 15 siesta will pay dividends and will revitalize them for this one final step to the Super Bowl, and you know what they say about a sleeping giant. Plus, the Jets will have their work cut out for them against an Indy offensive line, who have allowed Manning to get sacked only 12 times in 18 games, including the postseason. In the end, I believe that Peyton Manning will be protected just enough to find one of his many playmakers, and will have the opportunity to add the Lombardi trophy next to his MVP. Don't overreact Jets fans, it's not like I'm happy about it.

Final Score: Colts 20, Jets 16

Didn't know that the Superdome could be a lumberyard.
(sports.espn.go.com)

(2) Minnesota Vikings vs. (1) New Orleans Saints

Looks like Bush brought the wood last week (I'll refrain from an easy joke involving Kim Kardashian.). I mean, that was probably the best I've seen him since his collegiate days in Southern California. Apparently, within that bat was the focus that fans thought he had left at the Los Angeles Coliseum a few years back. If Bush shows up in the Superdome next week with a similar performance (217 total yards), Drew Brees's job will be a bit easier this coming Sunday evening. In order for Minnesota to come out on top, they must rush Brees like they rushed Romo, which will be a little more difficult. I am also concerned about Adrian Peterson, who didn't run that well against a porous Arizona defense (26 carries, 63 yards), and will not only need to have a quality game, but it becomes more crucial that his fumbling problem doesn't rear its ugly head in the big stage. Even though there is no significant advantage in terms of playing surface (both are dome teams), the Vikes are going to have to overcome probably the most powerful home field advantage in this year's playoffs. The Vikings meanwhile play some shaky football on the road, having lost 4 (all 4 of their losses in '09) of their last 5 road games, including a Sunday night stinker against the Bears in late-November. The Super Bowl is near, and you can sense that those golden jesters, jokers and the rest of the New Orleans crazies are going to be rooting hard for their team's first trip to the big game. I'll admit it, I will be channeling my spirit from my living room. Besides, a Vikings-Jets Super Bowl with 1,493 Favre montages will just send me leaping off the Zakim. Look for the Saints to squeak by the Vikings, with some possible late-game magic.

Final Score: Saints 30, Vikings 27

No comments:

Post a Comment