Saturday, June 27, 2009

R.I.P. To An Iconic Three

Italic

Do you remember,

how it all began.
It just seemed like heaven,
so why did it end?
-Michael Jackson, "Remember The Time"

On Thursday, I was on my daily Sportscenter binge while getting ready for Smoltz's debut as a Red Sox. In the middle of my Sportscenter stupor, my mom barged in with the shocking news. "Michael Jackson is dead". My immediate reaction was to look at her like she had eight heads. I mean, he's one of those celebrities that has every type of rumor spread about him. I'm sure the "Jackson's dead" angle has been played in the tabloids more than once. But when I flipped to one of the local news stations, it was all too true. All those fans surrounding the L.A. hospital. Seeing the tearful press conference of his brother Jermaine. Forget watching the game, this was way too warped. I mean, the composer of Thriller and the creator of the Moonwalk is actually dead? It was just all too much. Farrah Fawcett just died in the morning, and Ed McMahon passed away on Tuesday. It's strange how celebrities seem to leave us in trios, and it was even more bizarre that it was these three specific people, whose iconic presence breached multiple generations. These were three people whose work has influenced us more than we could understand. Even though I'm not as flabbergasted at celebrity as some people are, I still recognize the power it has over the lives of us commoners. It's those significant celebrities like Jackson, Fawcett, and McMahon that have this silent, but powerful influence over us that is most evident when they sadly leave us. As I play the song "Human Nature" in loop, here is my tribute to three unforgettable personalities that will live on longer in so many ways.


Ed McMahon (Mar. 6, 1923 - June 23, 2009)
(chasness.files.wordpress.com)

Before Leno, and before Conan (Yes young ones, before Conan.), there was the legendary Johnny Carson, who was at the helm of the late night scene. And it was good ole Ed McMahon who started off every show with his well-known call of "Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny". He played the part of the sidekick on The Late Night Show so well, that it actually advanced his profile in the mainstream with further career opportunities. He was the host of "Star Search", which paved the way for shows like "American Idol" and all of those other song/dance competitions that occupy many of the time slots today. He had pitched everything from Budweiser, to dog food, to those sweepstakes in which you could potentially win tons of money. In my mind, he could have hosted any game show and sold any product with his persona. He did it all with the amiability of a grandpa and the charm of a royal. And you can never underestimate his sense of humor, exhibited in his appearance on a "Cash For Gold" commercial after news of his financial problems later in his life. McMahon was just one of those faces you saw and knew you were going to crack a smile or laugh with something he said. In a way, he made the every day man an O.K. thing to be. I know he and Johnny are making people roll over in laughter up there right now like they were 25 years back.


Farrah Fawcett (Feb. 2, 1947 - June 25, 2009)
(eviljwinter.files.wordpress.com)

In my four years of college, I had a magnificent poster of Brooke Burke draped gloriously on my wall. As immaculate as that poster was, it has to pay thanks to Farrah Fawcett and her "Farrah Do". If this poster didn't directly influence the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, it sure paved the way. The 'Queen of All Pinups' rose to fame under the hit series "Charlie's Angels". It's hard to imagine that she was in only one out of the five seasons of the show. Yet her image is always the one thought of when thinking about the series. Made me wish I was Charles Townshend on the show, however I don't really like being called Charlie that much. Then again, "Chuck's Angels" doesn't have the same ring. Even though her beauty captivated many, it was also some of her grittier roles, such as the portrayal of an abuse victim in Burning Bed, that showed her stronger side. Her career didn't reach to the heights of what it was in the 70's, but she still had significant relevance. She made appearances in popular shows like Ally McBeal and Spin City, which showed after all these years that Farrah was a central figure in America's pop culture. This was most evident in the remake of Charlie's Angels as a pair of movies in 2000 and 2003. Cancer took her life in the end. But not without a tough battle, as shown in her documentary "Farrah's Story", furthering her reputation as an attractive yet tough and courageous individual. May heaven receive another "Angel".

Michael Jackson (Aug. 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009)
(static.open.salon.com)

What more can be said about Michael that already hasn't been said? 13 Grammys, 750 million records sold, and the millions of fans worldwide doesn't even begin to describe the influence that he had over myself and all of us. In the words of my mom, "I lost my Elvis". You could not put him in one, specific category. There was no one as popular as MJ in his prime, and there will be on one who will reach his level of fame, EVER. Not the way the music industry is nowadays. And definitely not in this TMZ era of the pseudo-celebrity, which figures are chewed up and spit out quicker than a Brussels sprout. JT, Beyonce, and Kanye combined will never hover remotely close to what Michael Jackson was as superstar and pop-pioneer. I remember watching MTV when I was a little tot, trying to emulate the way he twirled, doing it over and over again on a slick floor till it was perfect. I remember being scared to death when I watched the Thriller video for the 1st time, but was fascinated enough to view it many times over. As a kid when I was on the dance floor, I visualized myself as "The Gloved One" in "Billie Jean", slickly pacing on the floor as the floor lit from under me. I also recollect trying to do the Moonwalk in cleats before my little league games. Michael Jackson wasn't just a celebrity, he was someone that was part of the aura of your life no matter what your music interests were or what your opinion of him was. Even though there was much weirdness that surrounded his life since the Neverland days (and yes he was the butt of a few of my jokes), nothing could take away the power of his voice and the swiftness of his moves. It's figures like Michael Jackson I never ever could have imagined dying. But by seeing all his supporters on television, and by my avid listening of his tunes over the past 48 hours, I know he'll always be Moonwalking as future generations marvel at his unique, transcendent gift.

4 comments:

  1. One thing. Your phrasing..."Cancer had stricken her in the end"

    Was that a deliberate pun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I see. It was the last sentence I actually wrote in the entry. I'll come up with something less "punny".

    ReplyDelete
  3. M. jakson degerli pop Kin'iydi . onun gibileri bir daha gelmez.

    ReplyDelete