Thursday, June 18, 2009

The 500 Club

You can call him, "Mr. #100".
(espn.com)

I can't remember what I did on May 15, 2003. Not a clue in the world. I know I was 17 and I had just finished up a league-championship track season. Knowing myself back then, I was probably procrastinating in studying for one of my 4 AP exams as I watched another Seinfeld rerun before the game. That day was also Josh Beckett's 23rd birthday, only months before his baptism into postseason glory later on in the season. But apparently the seeds of a monumental streak were planted that day. Only months before Grady "you know who" drove me to the brink of clinical depression with let's just say, a "questionable decision" (avoiding using some four-letter words right now). The game apparently wasn't that eventful as the Red Sox blew out the Texas Rangers 12-3 with Pedro on the mound, but it would be a start of something that would be unimaginable even to the most die-hard Sox fans. Who would have known that in 6 years, we would be the owners of the longest consecutive sell-outs streak in the history of the sport? Apparently the Fenway Faithful have proven their allegiance time and time again, 500 consecutive times in fact. Who would have known that we would have achieved the milestone on this day, the 49th anniversary of Ted Williams hitting his 500th homerun? It's another badge of pride for a fan base that is considered one of the most loyal and avid in the country. So much has happened since the 2nd semester of my junior year in high school. I have received 2 degrees, have touched down in eleven countries, and even ran a marathon. But the one thing that has remained a constant for me as well as many others, is the continued passion for this club. It is the reason why the number "500" means so much more to me than its actual value.

I hope we're not celebrating these sell-outs.
(static.thehollywoodgossip.com)

Let's go through what has happened in the world at large since that ordinary day way back when. For starters, we have gone through the nose dive of the Bush Administration, participated in a "beautifully" planned war out in the Middle East, and have witnessed history with the election of our new president, who hasn't even been in office for 5 months. We have seen the summits and the cavernous valleys of the economy as well as survived natural disasters in New Orleans and in Houston. Together, we have seen Pirates in the Caribbean as well as encountered pirates off the coast of Somalia. We've watched as Michael Jackson was acquitted again, while justice prevailed over O.J. in his second time around (Speaking of anniversaries, remember that Bronco chase?). We have witnessed the greatness of the Matrix, laughed at the mischievous Borat, and have been infuriated by Fever Pitch (That might be just me. I'll just say Gigli for the general public). In sports, we have witnessed a guy named Jimmie dominate the asphalt, have seen possibly the biggest upset in history when an unnamed, undefeated football team lost in the final minutes of the ultimate contest in the sport (don't want to talk about it), and watched as a 409 page document helped define a shameful and confusing era in the national pastime. But in that same pastime, we have seen the transformation of a franchise known for its cruel bad luck turn into one of the model franchises in professional athletics. And throughout it all, we the 26th man, have come full force all the way in spite of an '03 playoff disappointment and an even more disappointing economic climate. Our reward for our loyalties: 2 long-awaited championships, a bottomless pit of a farm system, and so many priceless memories that me and many other Sox loyalists will carry with them for five lifetimes. Every Francona Sox win, every 0-3 comeback against the Yankees, every Youkilis homerun, and every Papelbon dance has occurred during the length of this streak. And what a fitting time for all of it, in front of of a dedicated fan base that once expected the worst, but knew triumph waited for their team in the end of that tunnel if they stuck around. And I'm glad we endured.


Trail Blazers, here we come!
(CEB II)

In game 500, we saw Brad Penny win his long-awaited 100th game against his former club, the Florida Marlins. We saw another Red Sox left fielder approach the Green Monster before the beginning of another inning. But it was because of a Boston legend (some Orr guy, you may have heard of him) who surprised Bay, the Canadian slugger and big hockey fan, by emerging from the famed wall. Most importantly, the Sox tallied more than the other team and increased their lead in this tight division by one more game. Not everything was pristine perfect as we also saw an error-less streak from the flashy Ellsbury end, concluding a 232 game run of perfection in center field. But hey, at least he homered, right? This streak was recorded on a great time in team history, as we have arguably become the elite team in the majors, while in the midst of another promising season. It is a record like this that makes me proud of being a loyal Red Sox fan, and a loyal sports fan. More importantly, it's a record like this that makes you realize they're are many people like me who view their sports teams as a valuable institution in their lives, something that brings people together no matter what happens through these unpredictable times. Hopefully I will be at Fenway when the 815th consecutive sell-out is recorded, which if you don't know will be the one that breaks the all-time record set by the Portland Trail Blazers. Throughout the emergence of the "pink hats', the confusion brought on by steroid controversies (ehemm, Mr. Sosa), and the unpredictability of the global political climate, I feel secure that my shared die-hard devotion for a team still carries on. That is what "500" means to me.

Mochaman's Fantasy Baseball Report
- Bubba Gump Shrimpz - 74-55-11 (3rd, Steroid Freaks' Anonymous, 6.5 GB)
Broke my little skid I was on with my middle infielders Roberts and new acquisition (and beast) Ben Zobrist. Sandoval and my pitching also a plus. Also helped by the fact that my competitor lost on all pitching categories because he pitched under the innings minimum by 2/3rds of an inning, creating an even larger win than I would have had. Expecting big things this week against the last place team.

- Mocha Sox -31-65-4 (12th, Yahoo Public 38095, 26.5 GB)
Just when things are turning around, my ace Halladay goes on the DL, putting my pitching in complete shambles. My offense is slowly turning around, but is it too late? Afraid it just may be. Stay tuned.

- Firehawks - 49-47-4 (6th, Yahoo Public 162279, 12 GB)
Have won 3 out of my last 4 series while getting right into playoff contention from the grave. Everything is gelling at the right time and there may be no stopping this team anytime soon (knocking on wood reeeeeal loudly). Still may trade some of my pitching to get another consistent offensive mainstay. Otherwise, the team is living up to its name.

No comments:

Post a Comment