Thursday, April 23, 2009

Front Row At Fenway + Doubleheader = Best Day Ever

Getting a friendlier version of the Papelbon stare.
(CEB II)

Two days ago, I was invited by my mom's best friend to go see an ordinary Sox game against the Minnesota Twins. She had obtained both sets of tickets of the two-game series from a friend of hers in response to a friendly favor. I'm always excited to go to a baseball game as is, but little did I know how even more pumped I'd be when I arrived at my seats that overcast night. We knew we were going to be real close on the 1st base side looking behind the Sox dugout, but how good you ask? When arriving at the seats, we we're behind the dugout looking for a row C. After some quick investigative work of Fenway's quirky layout, we realized that row C was the FRONT ROW DIRECTLY BEHIND THE DUGOUT! I mean, I'm still fanning myself down looking at the capitalized print. Literally behind the word 'SOX'. However, as soon as we settled, the rain crashed what was a joyous celebration. After about an hour, the Sox decided to call off the game. It was an obvious letdown at first (I MEAN, FRONT ROW!), but it set up two things: a situation where I can see 2 GAMES in that very location, and also to get my camera so I can share with you my moment in baseball heaven. I hope I can bring a level of enjoyment close to what I experienced yesterday.



Game 1 Montage

"They're Red Hot" - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik, 1991
"Over the Rainbow" - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Alone in Iz World, 2001

Game 1 Moments (Start Time, 12:35 PM)
- My mom's friend's son (Roy) and I roll into the park 2 hours before the game starts. Let the madness begin!
- Basically roaming the park and seeing the entire Sox bullpen, Pedroia in a camo shirt (I swear I had a pic of that) and randomly Jeff Bailey, who just got called up.
- Getting relief pitcher Takashi Saito's attention and showing him that I was wearing his number (formerly Manny Ramirez's #24) on my custom Sox road jersey, followed by him smiling and giggling.
- Having Jon Lester wave at me, and toss be a ball. I would have caught it, but I would have felt bad snagging it from the 5 year old next to me.
- Having Papelbon look at me (sunglasses and all) for a classic photo.
- Getting Roy Jon Lester's autograph with help from a friendly Fenway fanatic with long arms.
- Catching a ball thrown by Pedroia, followed by me pointing and doing a, "you da man" chant with him smiling and pointing back. How many MVP's have smiled and pointed at you?
- Yelling Chris Carter's name real loudly while he was signing autographs, which would always get his attention and one of those, "Sup (do I know you?)" nods. He was probably the easiest player to faze, probably because he hasn't played in many professional games yet. Might explain why he got called down to AAA the next day. Maybe? Even a little?
- Seeing David Ortiz in the dugout and watching 9 year-olds scream like a bunch of tweenies when the Jonas Brothers come to town (I can't believe I mentioned The Jonas Brothers in my blog. Need a moment to recover)
- After the infield warm-ups in the top half of the 3rd inning, Youkilis throws an almost errant throw back to the dugout, which would have hit me. I was saved (miraculously perhaps?) by some player who gave a little extra extension and caught the ball. That was followed by a, "Oooooh damn. That was close!" look in my direction from Youk, which gave way to a 10 second exchange of laughter and smiles from the both of us while I said, "you owe me one." How many MVP caliber players almost killed you with a baseball? That would have been a bruise I would have maintained for life.




Game 2 Montage

"Surfin' Bird" - The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird, 1963
"Dirty Water" - The Standells - Dirty Water, 1966


Game 2 Moments (Start Time, 7:55 PM)
- Getting a chance to see the "Eco-Green" unis for Earth Day. Considering it happens once a year, and I happened to be close to it, not a bad deal.
- Having the game start with only a 45 minute delay after a rainstorm that soaked the city and ended Game 1. Then getting back to storm mode 5 minutes after the game ended. If that wasn't the baseball gods helping me, I don't know what it was.
- Watching a bunch of high-school kids snatch the seats next to me acting like they had just taken over the place (even getting two baseballs), then afterward getting threatened by half the section to have security called on them. The drop in swagger and the looks on the young'ns faces looked like a fan's version of the Walk of Shame.
- Being able to watch Brad Penny, live, and not curse like Tony Montana for his whole outing. Wow! Guinness Record people, I got one for ya!
- Getting (and keeping) my first ball from a Major League game at the tender age of 23. This happened after an unknown rolled the ball on top of the dugout. Using my reach and Spider-Man reflexes, I was able to snatch the ball, with red paint from the letters on the dugout scuffed on the ball. No other battle scars reported.
- Fenway sausages. Enough said.
- Being able to have the satisfaction of having one of the best days a baseball fan can ever have despite not having Mother Nature's cooperation. This will probably be my best Fenway experience, and I'm gonna be in the bleachers for the Beckett-Burnett Yankees game on Saturday. Stay tuned!

Bonus: Last Pitches of the Night

No comments:

Post a Comment