Friday, May 15, 2009

Greetings From Barcelona

Sweden. Now that's what's up!
(CEB II)

IIIIIIIIIII'M BAAAAACK! Well, at least on the blogosphere. It feels like it's been too long of a hiatus for me, but it's been a fun one. I speak to you from the lovely city of Barcelona, home of the architectural genius of Gaudi, glistening harbors, and the '92 Summer Olympics. So many memories of this trip are rushing to my head here as I write this in my hostel. I'm trying to battle a weak wireless signal and an urge from my friend's laptop to go up 3 lines every time I type a half-sentence. But what can I say, I'm a man of the people. In anticipation of heading to the biggest party of the trip in Norway, I just had to do an entry today. I mean, I'm already thinking of the songs and pictures that will be on the grand montage when I finish the trip (Hint: expect some cheesy 90's dance pop). If that doesn't get you excited, you are simply not human.

The Oxford skyline. Now for that dude on a broomstick.
(CEB II)

Let's take it to Sweden, where I made my long awaited return after 2 1/2 years. In the town I was at (Lund), the scenery had an interesting blend of modern structures with a look from the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the older one, the better one, the less insane-looking one). It's nice to be walking in a city where the roads are made of cobblestone, kinda like walking through Nantucket. The people are so polite, and for the women....let's just say believe the hype. Sometimes it's like a model convention is happening in town and the cobblestone acts as the catwalk. But I digress. The country has a charm that goes beyond aesthetics. Overall, it feels like the place I would move to if I had to set up shop in Europe. Now only for that language bit. Next we go to the infamous Oxford University, home of 38 (yeah, that many!) colleges. The culture there, let's just say makes my college very liberal in comparison. The fashion for example, made me think I had arrived at some glorified Mr. Rogers convention. Being the oldest university in the English-speaking world, many of the buildings in Oxford, well, were mad old. However, I found that there were many people who liked to indulge in the occasional libation. Don't ask how much I spent on the gaming machines. I even got to go to a bar where J.R.R Tolkien pounded a few. Last, but not least, I visited Christ Church, where they filmed the movies for Harry Potter, somebody you may have heard of. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the series, you could not help but engulfed in the environment, and at the same time look for good ole Danny Radcliffe at the same time. Nothing like some ancient architectural wonders to get you in the mood, which brings me to Barcelona. I have probably experienced the best weather so far here in Spain, or what I like to call, the Motherland. It is probably the place which the diversity is so expanse, so much that they blend in well with the tourist population. Who knew an Irish pub would be next to my hostel? The combination of palm trees, sea view, and concrete gives the city a Miami-Boston feel. Nothing wrong with that ladies and gents.

Barcelona. Don't exactly want Columbus as my GPS.
(CEB II)

I don't know what to expect in Norway, but if it is anything like the rest of the trip so far, then I'm uber-excited. I have learned that I have to live in Sweden at one point in my life, I probably shouldn't fly a low cost airline again (you'll end up spending the money anyway), that a majority of the diversity in Oxford is at the local KFC (go figure), and that I have to be in Barcelona whenever there is a soccer match. I have to get my outer-Fenway sports rush somehow on this continent. Most importantly, I am grateful to have many friends around the world, for if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't even of thought to have embarked on a journey and enjoyed this beauty. And just a tally for you Eurotrip movie fans: 4 countries, 0 creepy dudes sat next to on trains, 0 incidents with robot-mimes (although may have been close in Barcelona), and 0 visits to odd sex clubs. Hoping to keep the stats up. Stay tuned folks.

2 Things Before I Peace Out....

I bid a tearful goodbye, an in memoriam if you will, to the '08-'09 Bruins season. Kinda glad I'm not in Beantown for that.

A special congrats to all my Babsonite compadres graduating in the Class of 2009 tomorrow! So wish I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment